Thursday, May 28, 2009

I've Got the Shakes

This morning, at exactly two minutes to five AM, I woke to the entire room shaking.

An earthquake! I thought to myself, and grabbed hold of my frightened chihuahua and watched as the room shook around me. Things crashed, fell, and then after about five mortifying seconds, it all stopped.

Quickly, I jumped off the bed and pulled off my flimsy nightgown, exchanging it for a pair of work out shorts, a sports bra, and a t-shirt. I tiptoed around my broken lamp and headed for my mom's room, poking my head in.

Two snoring lumps greeted me.

"Mom!" I whispered. "Did you feel that?"
"What?" came the sleepy voice.
"The earthquake!"
"... what earthquake?"

I blinked. There was no way they could NOT feel that. Dazed and half asleep, I insisted there had been an earthquake, but both mom and dad insisted they didn't feel anything. Shaking my head I took the puppy out for her morning pee break, and when I came back, my mother was standing at my doorway.

"Are you sure you didn't just dream it?" she told me.
"Mom, look at the lamp," I said.

Sure enough, my lamp (and a few other things), was lying limpy on the floor, broken in two pieces from the force of the shake.

Too tired to contemplate what it could mean, I went back to sleep. In the morning, I dragged myself out of bed and began searching for online articles. No earthquakes. Nothing.

My grandmother, a light sleeper, also felt nothing.

Mother suggested maybe something had fallen, but it was a sustained, repeated shake of everything in my room.

So what could it have been? What could have shaken everything in my room, broken a lamp, and yet been felt by no one else in the house?

Aw, man. I'm really not in the mood to be haunted right now.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you had a seizure. That would also not be cool.

    ReplyDelete