Tuesday, November 6, 2007

5 Reasons I'm Momentarily Relieved I'm Not WGA

I've tended to avoid talking about the strike for a very simple reason: currently, I'm working for a struck network. My writing doesn't give me a paycheck: the network does. Working here while simultaneously wishing I could join the writers I respect and admire on the picket lines leaves me in a position where I toe the line and wait.

I have my opinions and I know who I support – eventually I hope to become a member of the WGA and I know that what the writers are picketing for will only help me when I get to that point.

Until then? I'm one of the little (really really little) people; working for my network and earning my paycheck and hoping I don't lose my job should this thing stretch out for months.

In that spirit:

5 Reasons I'm Relieved I'm Not WGA (And 5 Reasons Why I'm Still Jealous)

1. No one's running me over (and there are no shoe-stealing tires around).

2. When I have an argument and it goes badly - I don't have to argue in the Trades over who it was that stormed out first.

3. I don't have to think of lame-ass chants. I'm a writer, not a cheerleader.

4. I don't have to make weird and funny youtube videos about how bored I am just because of a strike. I can do that anytime, dammit.

5. I'm not responsible for Ryan Seacrest or E! being a 'strike-proof' option.


And 5 Reasons Why I'm Still Jealous

1. I can finally use my tendency to get dramatic for a good cause.

2. When they do get run over, they have benefits to pay for the hospital.

3. I could hang out with Tina Fey and not be accused of stalking.

4. Jay Leno would bring me donuts.

5. Don't tell me no one has ever wanted to storm the Desperate Housewives set and shut that place down.

No comments:

Post a Comment