Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila - Episode 5

You know what happens when you work on the best shows on cable tv? You watch really dumb ones when you come home. Seriously, after 'Flavor of Love 2', I think my friends' estimation of me plummetted about 50%. That's more or less why I've been keeping my current guilty pleasure a secret. Well, until now.

I can't help it. I'm watching a Shot of Love with Tila Tequila, and even as I do (and curse myself for it) I can hear Gloria Steinem pounding my door down, demanding to take away my right to call myself a feminist (If that's even the correct term anymore).

The show is trashy. It's lame. It's obviously scripted. It's based on the most ridiculous premise ever. I feel my IQ dropping every time I watch it (And I still blame Flavor of Love 2 for my IQ now being 120. I swear it was higher than that).

But despite it being all those things, it does take a bunch of lesbians (sexuality questionable for some) and a bunch of straight dudes (and a really insane Italian who has to be a hired actor) and forces them to live in a house together and even sleep in the same bed. The result? The weirdest study of stereotypes and gender roles I've seen in a while.

Maybe it's the geek in me, but I find that fascinating. Men who go from 'women on women is hot' to calling their lesbian competitors 'she-males' and exclaiming that that losing to lesbians doesn't count because 'technically, they're men', a lipstick lesbian who decides that butch women are 'eww', a straight guy who refuses to believe that a virgin can consider herself a lesbian until she actually sleeps with both genders to decide for sure, a woman who considers herself a lesbian but hooks up with a guy her first night in the house...

It's offensive, and it's wierd, but it's everything that has been said behind backs and closed doors and the result is some pretty fascinating exploration on the fluidity of sexuality and how that idea can both repulse, attract and just plain frighten the masses.

'A Shot of Love' is weird. And trashy. And exploitive.

It's also unintentionally provoking.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's horrible.

But dude - there's so totally gonna be a fight next week! OMG! Drama!

1 comment:

  1. I hate you. I hate you, I hate you. I'm totally hooked on this show. I found a marathon and thought, "Hey, I read about that on Mel's blog." So I watched it. And I blame you.

    Everything you said is true. It's a train wreck that you can't stop watching. The men are macho and insensitive jerks. The women are drama queens and bitches. And then they turn around and seem completely opposite. They lie. They go completely insane. They pull knives on each other. It's like two street gangs vying for the same woman.

    Oh, and the Drama of which you speak! It wasn't even resolved. I mean, what's happening to the sixth key to Tila Tequila's heart? And, how much do I love Dani? Actually, I have opinions on all of them... even though I wish I didn't know their names.

    THIS.IS.YOUR.FAULT. I'm going to DVR it so I don't miss anything. Have I mentioned that I hate you?

    ReplyDelete