Sunday, January 27, 2008

At the Ahmanson: The Color Purple

As my Christmas present for my mother, I went and bought tickets to the Color Purple and 'My Fair Lady'. Mom is a theatre fan, but she won't really think of going on her own, and she's expressed some bitterness over the fact that I'll go to the plays like 'Avenue Q' or 'Jersey Boys' with my friends rather than her, so I think this was a nice surprise.


Unlike London or New York, Los Angeles doesn't have quite the theatre reputation it deserves, and when the big Broadway musicals come to town, I do what I can do see them.
I heard great things about the Color Purple, but the only thing I really remembered about the story was watching the film in the theatre as a kid, with my mom and my sister. I remember having to go to the bathroom and being generally fidgety (I couldn't have been more than 8) and having my mother get so frustrated she got up and took us home. Needless to say, not much of it stuck.


Still, I was really pleasently surprised. The story had a lot of heart to it, even if it was hella depressing at first, and the singing was out of this world.


Highly recommended for any Los Angeles people looking to do something a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment